Our research mission: Improving software and systems development by identifying:
- methods, concepts, tools and infrastructures for
- innovative and efficient incremental development
- of software and software intensive high quality systems
- in less time while
- flexibly integrating evolving requirements.
We use model-based development of software (model-based software engineering, MBSE), generative and synthesis techniques, and model-driven digitalisation of system development.
During our scientific endeavour we contributed a number of publications to this mission and the overall approach has successfully evaluated in various industrial projects in the areas of embedded systems, artificial intelligence, autonomous vehicles, IoT, smart buildings, energy, robotics, and cloud systems, but also in administration, e.g. leveraging on the model based formalization of contracts, laws, and standards.
Our language workbench MontiCore [ HKR21 ], is a key framework for creating and processing domain-specific languages. It has successfully been used to demonstrate that code generation increases software quality and developer efficiency. This means, MBSE enables and improves agile development.
Projects include requirements elicitation, as well as cyber-physical function, version, and variant modeling. All this is based on a sound theoretical knowledge of modeling languages and their semantics and our ability to leverage this in industrial practice.
Below we have collected and grouped especially interesting publications around our main research topics, application domains, and tools. Each topic page describes our contributions to this topic in a consolidated, compact form.
Foundations of Model-Based Software Engineering
- Agile Model-Based Software Engineering
- Artifacts in Complex Development Projects
- Artificial Intelligence in Software Engineering
- Cyber Physical Systems (CPS)
- Software Language Engineering (SLE)
- Domain-Specific Languages (DSLs)
- Compositionality & Modularity of Models
- Variability & Software Product Lines (SPL)
- Evolution & Transformation of Models
- Generative Software Engineering
- Modeling Software Architecture
- State-Based Modeling (Automata)
- Model-Based Assistive Systems
- Autonomic Driving & Intelligent Driver Assistance
- Digital Twins and Digital Shadows in Engineering, Operation and Production
- Robotics Architectures and Tasks
- Cloud Computing Applications
- Enterprise Information Systems
- Smart Energy Management
Our Most Important Software Tools
- MontiCore - Language Workbench for DSLs
- UML/P - Executable Modeling with UML
- MontiArc - Architectural Modeling
- MontiGem - Generating Enterprise Management Systems
- MontiThings - Modeling the IoT
Upcoming Research Topics
Fresh research topics not necessarily already come with published articles. We assume results will be published in the near future:
- SysML 2.0: the SpesML approach
- Modelling in Production: Systems, Software, Processes and Data (fitting to the RWTH Excellence Cluster Internet of Production, IOP)
- Low Code / Now Code Environments using Models@Runtime